Saturday, August 9, 2008

If I had to eat icing sugar and butter by the spoonful...

Yea, that would be absolutely disgusting.

Now fudge, on the other hand...


My sources tell me Fat Phege's fudge is good, like, very very good. Located in the Market Square, the heart of Olde Victoria, Fat Phege's is a charming little piece of history, much like many other stores in downtown Vic.

The selection of confections and other yummy goodies dazzled me. They even had penuche! However, they were sold by the 1/2 lb. blocks (ranging from $5.50 to $6.50 per 225 grams, weighted on the scale). As much as I wanted to buy the whole store, ending up with 20 pounds of fudge didn't seem like the brighted idea... I had to slap my inner-sugar addict (this 3-feet tall little maniac with pigtails, a maniacal grin, and a diabolical glint in her little eyes) and settled, hestantly, on a lovely block of (surprise) peanut butter chocolate fudge.

Not wanting to wait any further, I almost dashed out the door, but not before the kind little old lady at the cash register pointed me to a bundle of plastic knives. "These'll make sharing easier," she informed. Sharing?

"What sharing?" says the little 3-feet tall sugar-demon. I told the cashier I won't be sharing them, but reluctantly took the damned utensil anyways.

The PB fudge is very creamy... but not as peanut-buttery (Webster, bishplz) as I had hoped. Furthermore, a tad too sweet! I know, I know, I should be complaining when the primary ingredient is icing sugar. I'd liked it a little more salty, maybe with some kosher salt or fleur de sel. The chocolate section was quite alright, because, well, it's difficult to fudge up plain, chocolate fudge. It was very similar to my home-made recipes, so, no-brainer I suppose.

Anyways, I was expecting some sort of gourmet, outta-this-world experience, but I suppose the old-school candy-store experience sufficed.

The website shows their on-site fudge-making, very cool! And they offer mail-orders!

Fat Phege's Fudge Factory
134-560 Johnson Street
Victoria, BC V8W 3C6 Get Directions
(250) 383-3435


No comments: