Saturday, September 20, 2008

Fall's bounty

"2. Kabocha: If ye ol’ American orange variety of the pumpkin is starting to bore you, there’s always the Japanese version! It’s an election year; I say let’s try to reinvent the local varieties before looking abroad."

Number two on Serious Eats' WJS's Ten Foods to Eat This Fall, and unfortunately the only thing on the last I have in my produce drawer... My mom insisted on buying them for some reason. OK, never mind, they were on sale at T&T. I was scratching my head about what the hell to do with them, but luckily, salvation occurred in the form of a recipe from Veganomicon (underlining, courtesy of my English teacher) : Kabocha-Udon Winter Soup (ignore the Winter part). I'll make a batch of those tomorrow afternoon.

I need to try some rutabaga and quince, next.

No comments: